Coordinator and Advisor
Silvia Valisa is Associate Professor of Italian Studies. She holds a laurea from the Università di Pavia, Italy, and a D.E.A in French literature from the Sorbonne Nouvelle, France. After receiving her Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in 2007, she joined the Italian Studies program at FSU in 2008. In 2009 she was also a post-doctoral scholar at the Cogut Center for the Humanities at Brown University, RI.
history and theory of the novel
gender theory and trauma studies
history of text technologies
visual studies (photography and cinema)
"Gender in Italian Literature" - in Italian (ITA4930-ITA5900)
"Masterpieces of Italian Literature: from Dante to Primo Levi" - in English (ITT3430)
"Culture fasciste" in Italian (ITW4480-5485)
"People or Not - How to Read a Book with Character(s)" - in Italian (ITW4440-ITW5445)
"Italiani, italiane. The Making of a Nation, the Making of Identity" - in Italian (ITA4500-5505)
Her first book, Gender, Narrative and, Dissonance in the Modern Italian Novel, was published in 2014 by the University of Toronto Press.
She is currently working on her second book project, News, Novels and Notes: Sonzogno's Cultural Mediation and Technological Innovations in Post-Unification Italy.
Selected Refereed Articles and Book Chapters
- "Sulla preparazione di un campione di catalogo digitale aumentato delle edizioni Sonzogno: Sample 1885 - Campione 1885." La fabbrica del libro. Bollettino di storia dell'editoria in Italia. XX: 1. (Forthcoming).
- "An Imaged Life: Wanda Wulz and the Familiar Archive." In Rossella Riccobono (Ed.), A 'Window' on the Female Modernist 'I': from Neera to Elsa Morante. (2013). 45-77.
- "Casa editrice Sonzogno: Mediazione culturale, circuiti del sapere ed innovazione tecnologica nell'Italia unificata." In Gabriella Romani, & Ann H. Caesar (Eds.), Technology and the Printed Media in Italy between 1870 and 1914. (2011) 90-106.
- "Still Figures: Neera's Fotografie matrimoniali and The Epistemology of Photography." The Italianist - supplement on "Rethinking Neera", 30 (2010). 26-49.
- "Corpi estranei and Moving Stereotypes: Pier Paolo Pasolini and the Trauma of the Other in L'odore dell'India." MLN. Modern Language Notes - Italian Issue, 124:1 (2009). 269-292.
- "Gendered Quests: Analysis, Revelation and the Epistemology of Gender in Neera's Teresa, Lydia and L'indomani." The Italianist, 28:i, 92-112.
Sonzogno Digital Catalog Sample Website
Valisa, Silvia, Sanghee Oh and Wonchan Choi: "Sonzogno Digital Catalog, Sample 1885": http://sonzogno.cci.fsu.edu/ (2013)
Sonzogno Il secolo Sample Website
Valisa, Silvia, in collaboration with the FSU Libraries Digital Research and Scholarship Team: "Il secolo Project, Sample 1885" (2015)