M & W 11:00-2:00pm
Associate Director of the Spanish Basic Language Program
Professor Brandl (Ph.D. Florida State University) is an Associate Teaching Professor of Spanish and Linguistics, and the Assistant Director of the Spanish Basic Language Program. She specializes in adult second language acquisition and processing. She is deeply interested in bilingualism and the acquisition of Spanish as a heritage language. Her recent work focuses on Spanish heritage language instruction. She has worked on second language sentence processing, acquisition of Spanish intonation, and cross-linguistic influence in bilingual sentence processing. She has developed new courses on Spanish Heritage Language and Spanish for Specific Purposes. She is also the advisor of the Spanish Honor Society (Sigma Delta Pi) at Florida State University.
Second Language Acquisition (SLA)
Spanish Heritage Language (SHL) Acquisition/Instruction
Instructed Second Language Acquisition (ISLA)
Second Language Instruction
Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
Spanish for Heritage Speakers I
Spanish Second Language Acquisition
Spanish Reading & Conversation
Spanish Grammar and Composition
Intermediate Spanish I & II
Elementary Spanish I & II
- Brandl, A, González, C., & Bustin, A. (in press). The Development of Intonation in L2 Spanish: A Perceptual Study. In Alfonso Morales-Front (Ed.), Hispanic Linguistics Symposium 2016. Amsterdam and New York: John Benjamins.
- Bailey, A. A. & Brandl, A. (2013). Incorporating pronunciation in the first-year Spanish classroom: An early intervention. In J. Levis & K. LeVelle (Eds.). Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference Proceedings. Aug. 2012. (pp. 207-223). Ames, IA: Iowa State University.
- Leeser, M. J., Brandl, A., & Weissglass, C. (2011). Task effects in second language sentence processing research. In P. Trofimovich & K. McDonough (eds.), Applying priming research to L2 teaching and learning: Insights from Psycholinguistics. (pp. 179–198). John Benjamins.
- Brandl. A. (2013). Processing Strategies in Early Second Language Sentence Processing: A Cross Linguistic Study. Doctoral dissertation, Florida State University.
- Bailey, A. A., & Brandl, A. (2014). Starting with stops: Instruction on /p, t, k/ in the first-year Spanish classroom. IGNITE: CASPSLaP. http://ignite-caspslap-2014.weebly.com/starting-with-stops.html#.U6SC6JRdV8F