Professor, Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies
Hispanic Linguistics (MA and PhD)
Dr. Sunderman is a Professor of Spanish and Linguistics and Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies.
The bilingual lexicon
Psycholinguistic approaches to Second language Acquisition
Inhibitory control in bilingual production
Individual difference in language processing
Introduction to Linguistics
Second Language Acquisition
Child Language Acquisition
- Linck, J. A., Schwieter, J. W., & Sunderman, G. (2020). The Differential Role of Executive Functions in the Cognitive Control of Language Switching. Languages, 5(2), 19. MDPI AG. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/languages5020019
- Wood, C., Fitton, L., Petscher, Y., Rodriguez, E., Sunderman, G., & Lim, T. (2018). The Effect of Ebook Vocabulary Instruction on Spanish-English Speaking Children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 61, 1945-1969.
- Leeser, M., & Sunderman, G. (2016). Methodological Issues of Working Memory Tasks for L2 Processing Research. In G. Granena, D.O. Jackson, & Y. Yilmaz (Eds.), Cognitive Individual Differences in Second Language Processing and Acquisition (pp. 89-104). John Benjamins.
- Rodriguez, E., Sunderman, G., & Wood, C. (2017). The Relationship between parental language dominance of heritage Spanish-speaking children and child performance in normative language assessment. Heritage Language Journal, 14, 264-287.
- Sunderman, G. (2013). Translation Recognition Tasks. In Jill Jegerski, & Bill Van Patten (Eds.), Research Methods in Second Language Psycholinguistics (pp. 185-211). New York: Routledge.
- Sunderman, G., & Priya, K. (2012). Translation recognition in highly proficient Hindi-English bilinguals: The influence of different scripts but connectable phonologies. Language and Cognitive Processes, 27, 1265-1285.
- Sunderman, G. (2011). Conceptual Mediation in Second Language Learners: Evidence from False Memories. In Pavel Trofimovich, & Kim McDonough (Eds.), Applying Priming Methods to L2 Learning, Teaching and Research: Insights from Psycholinguistics (pp. 219-237). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Schwieter, J., & Sunderman, G. (2009). Concept selection and developmental effects in bilingual speech production. Language Learning, 59, 897-927.
- Linck, J., Kroll, J. F., & Sunderman, G. (2009). Losing access to the native language while immersed in a second language: Evidence for the role of inhibition in second language learning. Psychological Science, 20, 1507-1515.
- Sunderman, G., & Kroll, J. F. (2009). When study abroad experience fails to deliver: The internal resources threshold effect. Applied Psycholinguistics, 30, 1-21.
- Sunderman, G., & Kroll, J. F. (2006). First language activation during second language lexical processing: An investigation of lexical form, meaning, and grammatical class. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 28, 387-422.
- Kroll, J. F., & Sunderman, G. (2003). Cognitive processes in second language learners and bilinguals: The Development of Lexical and Conceptual Representations. In Cathy Doughty, & Michael Long (Eds.), Handbook of second language acquisition. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.