Wednesday 11:05-2:00pm and by appointment
Program Coordinator, Graduate Advisor, Exchange Programs Coordinator
Silvia Valisa is Associate Professor of Italian Studies. She holds a laurea in lettere moderne from the Università di Pavia, Italy, a D.E.A in French literature from the Sorbonne Nouvelle, France, and a Ph.D. in Italian Studies from the University of California, Berkeley (2007). She was a post-doctoral scholar at Brown University, RI (Cogut Center for the Humanities, 2009) and has held a research fellowship from the Newberry Library, Chicago (2017).
History of Text Technologies - History of Print
Gender Theory, Gender Studies in Italy
Visual Studies - Photography and Cinema
History and Theory of the Novel
"Gender in Italian Literature" - in Italian (ITA4930-ITA5900)
"Masterpieces of Italian Literature: from Dante to Primo Levi" - in English (ITT3430)
"Culture fasciste" in Italian (ITW4480-5485)
"People or Not - How to Read a Book with Character(s)" - in Italian (ITW4440-ITW5445)
"Italiani, italiane. The Making of a Nation, the Making of Identity" - in Italian (ITA4500-5505)
Her first book, Gender, Narrative and, Dissonance in the Modern Italian Novel, was published in 2014 by the University of Toronto Press.
She is currently working on her second book project, News, Novels and Notes: Sonzogno's Cultural Mediation and Technological Innovations in Post-Unification Italy.
Selected Refereed Articles and Book Chapters
- "Cosa scrivevano le donne di fine Ottocento? Il contributo italiano alla Woman' Building Library della World Fair di Chicago (1893)."G/S/I Gender Sexuality Italy 5 (2018)
- "Corpo andCorpus: Paranoid and Reparative Writing in Sibilla Aleramo’s Una donna andIl passaggio."Italian Culture, 36:1 (2017). 18-31.
- "Sulla preparazione di un campione di catalogo digitale aumentato delle edizioni Sonzogno: Sample 1885 - Campione 1885." La fabbrica del libro. Bollettino di storia dell'editoria in Italia. XX: 1. (2014).
- "An Imaged Life: Wanda Wulz and the Familiar Archive." In Rossella Riccobono (Ed.), A 'Window' on the Female Modernist 'I': from Neera to Elsa Morante. (2013). 45-77.
- "Casa editrice Sonzogno: Mediazione culturale, circuiti del sapere ed innovazione tecnologica nell'Italia unificata." In Gabriella Romani, & Ann H. Caesar (Eds.), Technology and the Printed Media in Italy between 1870 and 1914. (2011) 90-106.
- "Still Figures: Neera's Fotografie matrimoniali and The Epistemology of Photography." The Italianist -supplement on"Rethinking Neera", 30 (2010). 26-49.
- "Corpi estranei and Moving Stereotypes: Pier Paolo Pasolini and the Trauma of the Other in L'odore dell'India." MLN. Modern Language Notes - Italian Issue, 124:1 (2009). 269-292.
- "Gendered Quests: Analysis, Revelation and the Epistemology of Gender in Neera's Teresa, Lydia and L'indomani." The Italianist, 28:i, 92-112.
Sonzogno Digital Catalog Sample Website
Valisa, Silvia, Sanghee Oh and Wonchan Choi: "Sonzogno Digital Catalog, Sample 1885": http://sonzogno.cci.fsu.edu/ (2013)
Sonzogno Il secolo Sample Website
Valisa, Silvia, in collaboration with the FSU Libraries Digital Research and Scholarship Team: "Il secolo Project, Sample 1885" (2015)