Modern Languages & Linguistics Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Advising
364 Diffenbaugh

Frequent Questions and Answers

  1. I missed the deadline for applying for graduation. What should I do?

    You must go to your academic Dean's office to notify them of your intent to graduate and to obtain permission to apply late for graduation for that semester.

  2. When and how should I apply for graduation?

    You can apply for graduation during the first few weeks in the semester you intend to graduate. You need to apply for graduation even if you do not intend to walk in the ceremony. You can find the graduation application link under the “My Degrees” tab on See the line, “More…” and then click “Apply for Graduation”.

  3. What is the difference between a minor and a certificate?

    Minors typically require fewer hours than certificates. Minors do not appear on transcripts, but can be written on resumes. Courses used for a minor cannot overlap with anything. Certificates are posted to transcripts and usually have a few additional requirements. Certificate course may be able to overlap with major requirements.

  4. What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

    A double major requires 120 total degree hours and both major requirements to be completed. With a double major if the individual majors require a minor, you do not need it. The second major will cancel out that requirement. A dual degree requires 150 total degree hours and both major requirements to be completed. If the individual majors require a minor, then it does need to be fulfilled to be eligible for the dual degree. 

  5. Can I take courses at another institution?

    Yes. FSU students can take courses at community colleges or other universities. Students are considered a transient student, which means they intend to take courses at another institution for a semester and return to FSU the following semester. Courses taken at other schools must be evaluated by Florida State to determine their equivalency to FSU courses. Students can contact their academic advisor or the Office of Undergraduate Studies regarding this protocol. Please note that students who do NOT take courses at Florida State for TWO CONSECUTIVE SEMESTERS must reapply to FSU.

  6. How Do I change my major or add a second major/dual degree?

    If you are adding or changing your major to something housed the Department of Modern Languages, you must meet with the general undergraduate advisor in DIF 364 during walk-in advising hours. If you are adding or changing your major to something not offered by our department you should go see an advisor in the department/college that offers that major. 

  7. What is the summer residency requirement?

    Students are required to complete nine hours of courses during the summer semester. They do not have to be taken at the same time or at Florida State. However, summer courses must be taken at a public (4-year) university in Florida. Courses taken at a community/state college will NOT fulfill the summer residency requirement. Students admitted to the university with 60 hours or more are exempt from this requirement. Additionally, students who are admitted into the university with at least 9 hours of accelerated credit (AP, IB, dual enrollment) are exempt from this requirement. If you are interested in getting this requirement waived, please contact the College of Arts & Science during your last 30 hours of coursework.

  8. How Do I request a graduation check?

    All MLL students must request 2 official graduation checks during the semester in which you will complete 90 hours. This includes hours you already have plus the number of hours in which you are currently enrolled.  
                1) You must go in person to request a graduation check from the Registrar’s
                    office in UCA3900. Be sure to bring your FSU card with you. You will fill   
                    out a form in the office and receive a ticket indicating the date your grad
                    check will be ready for pick up. Failure to go back and pick up your grad 
                    check will prevent you from being eligible to graduate. 
                2) You must also request a grad check from the College of Arts & Sciences. 
                    You must request this grad check online. Please click here to be  
                    redirected to the graduation portion of the website for the College of 
                    Arts & Sciences.

  9. How do I take a course pass/fail (S/U)?

    Elective courses that do not count towards major, minor or liberal studies requirements can be taken pass/fail. Only one class can be taken pass/fail in a semester up to a maximum of 18 credit hours. The form is available in the Office of the University Registrar in 3900 UCA. Business courses cannot be taken pass/fail. Languages can be taken pass/fail for some foreign language requirements. You should contact your academic advisor with any questions regarding taking courses pass/fail. 

  10. Where can I find the academic calendar?

    A. It is each student’s responsibility to keep track of deadlines associated with the academic calendar. You can access the academic calendar at the following link:

  11. When & where can I see an advisor?

    The Modern Languages & Linguistics undergraduate advising office is located in 364 Diffenbaugh (DIF). You can drop in anytime during walk-in advising hours. The walk-in advising hours are listed here:

  12. I missed the deadline for ordering my cap and gown. What should I do?

    Call the University Bookstore at (850) 644-2072.

Legacy Sort
Legacy Priority