Welcome to the Japanese Program of the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics at Florida State University. These pages provide prospective and current students with information and contacts to facilitate the study of Japanese language and culture. The Japanese Program offers a comprehensive undergraduate program (major and minor) in Japanese Language and Culture, as well as major with a concentration in Business, and a co-major with Chinese.
Why take Japanese?
- Japan has the third largest economy in the world. Open up business opportunities!
- Japan is one of the closest allies of the United States and Japanese is a language deemed critical to U.S. national security and economic prosperity.
- Japan is one of the major contributors to global culture, including religion, entertainment, technology, and manufacturing.
- Make yourself more competitive for the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program
- It allows you for a deeper connection to Japanese traditional culture as well as pop culture.